How can we improve WindowTabs?

Save and restore window groups

Provide a way to save and restore "sessions" similar to firefox / chrome. This would allow you to launch and group a list of processes after restarting or by clicking some kind of shortcut

353 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan commented  · 

I am using Tabs for Ninja Trader chart platform. I have tried many times to save a work space so I do not have to re-group all of my charts and tab size, location, auto hide etc., each AM. I have been hearing many complaints about the same issue and unless I am missing something, I cant seem to get this to work correctly on the paid version. I think someone mentioned on a msg board, that there is a work around for this issue?? Ill try anything at this point. I really enjoy the way Tabs works other than this issue

• Robx commented  · 

¡Yes, this feature will be great!.
        When will be a new version for Windows10?

• kevin commented  · 

Any timeline as to when this "feature" can be added to your window tab code? Using NT and thirty charts, it is cumbersome to rejoin/retab every chart at the beginning of each day...I was using the free version for a while and purchased upgrade thinking this problem would be solved. The upgraded version appears to be more stable on my machine, less screen blinking and freezing.

• Anonymous commented  · 

need to fix this asap for Ninja Trader. Not usable to have to retab windows every day when reopening NT. Very cumbersome. Must be first on list to expedite this feature

• FT84 commented  · 

Can you make the feature to Saver and reload the workspace in WindowTabs so that we can have multiple workspaces saved.

I am using Ninjatrader and right now when I change the workspace in Ninja I can't apply the workspace in Window Tab . This is very essential for Ninjatrader user with multiple instruments and workspaces. Thanks

• FRAN commented  · 

please, could you tell me if when we reopen ninja, we dont have to join the charts again?

• Anonymous commented  · 

come on guys this really needs doing. manually changing charts everytime i open my application is so time consuming

• Daniel commented  · 

come on, spend some time on this pls, a free software update faster than this!

• Daniel commented  · 

sorting doesn't work. I opened 13 windows, created one workspace and one group, then I re-sequence the windows, when hit the restore, it doesn't sort windows correctly.

suggestion: add a way to arrange the sequence in workspace tab, like drag and drop.

thanks
        Daniel

• Turion commented  · 

Nice work! :)

Forgive me but just to confirm, WindowTabs 2014.5.31 restore workspace option only re-organizes the windows you selected to be a part of a workspace that are open and NOT re-open those programs right?

How about adding a hotkey to invoke the Workspace dialog box?
        Or maybe add a Workspace sub menu in the right-click context menu of a tab?

• AdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

WindowTabs 2014.5.31 was just released and it includes some basic "workspace" support for saving and restoring window and group layout. Take a look at http://windowtabs.com/workspaces/ for more information and try it out by downloading the latest version http://windowtabs.com/download/. This is just a first step, I plan on incrementally improving this functionality based on your feedback with each release (every one to two months)

Just an update guys, I know this is taking ridiculously long. I'll be working on a basic version that many of you very intelligently suggested - don't worry about launching processes, just use the window title / process (with some wild card) to re-group already open windows. I'm going to give this a shot for the May release, it won't be perfect but at least we will have something out there we can talk about and improve on. Thank you for your almost infinite patience.

• Anonymous commented  · 

My god. Someone who actually knows how to write software. How refreshing.

Save and restore groups cannot possibly be that difficult to implement for basic functionality. Only do it for windows that are already up. Use the title + wildcards, first come first served on a group by group basis as you run through the window list and done.

I'd buy this in a minute if it were in there.

• Daniel commented  · 

The reason to use keyword not the whole title is that a lot of times the window title changes with the date, or document opened etc. after reopen.

• Daniel commented  · 

Hi Maurice,
        It's Daniel. We had some back and forth emails about this feature years ago. You probably remember me. I know it's hard to identify the windows from different programs after the restart of system. I have a suggestion:

if you can read all the window's titles from each group into a text file or a editable form. So we can edit each title manually to make them a unique keyword, and we can group them in some way and sequence which 'Wintabs' can read and understand. So the 'wintabs' can search the titles of all the windows with tab on, and group and sort them according to the grouping and sequence of those keywords. you can do whatever you like if more than one windows have the same keyword or the keyword not found in any window, but do it logically with common sense.
        That is the function I would like to have, and I think it's easy for you to do. of cause you will have option in setting to disable it.

Thank for the great little product!
        Just a thought.

• Rock commented  · 

I have a suggestion on how this could work that might be easier to implement and could arguably be preferable.

What if you could set up groups but not bother with launching the apps? For instance say you have app1, app2 and app2 in one group. You start app1 and start using it. You need app2 so you start it and it automatically attaches to app1. If you don't need app3 today you don't start it and it doesn't get started needlessly like would happen if they were automatically launched. I think this might be preferable because your program is about grouping apps not starting them.

What do you think?

• Martin commented  · 

Hi Maurice ...really enjoying using Windows Tabs - especially with Ninja Trader charts - but not enjoying having to set up all the Tabs from scratch each time :-(

Have you an update on when this Save Layout / Restore feature will kick in? I think we're all getting a bit desperate on this one..

Anonymous, I understand your sentiment, I do know that many people are waiting on this feature and it will get done. I am working on a basic save and restore based on window titles now, adding full support for relaunching processes etc is a little more involved. The reason I'm working on some smaller features first is because there are some very simple, useful changes I can make relatively quickly and there is no sense sticking them behind a much larger feature like this. I take feedback on uservoice very seriously but since WindowTabs is currently a one man operation I have to make some compromises on where I invest my time - no one is more frustrated that this feature has been delayed than I am.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base