How can we improve WindowTabs?

Show the taskbar icon for top window in group (like in WindowTabs v650)

Instead of showing a group of icons, show the actual icon for the top window so that it can be docked with other windows of the same type in the Windows 7 taskbar. This is the same behavior as existed in WindowTabs v650. For example:

Bbehavior of WindowTabs v650
http://windowtabs.com/uv/wtold.png

Behavior of current WindowTabs
http://windowtabs.com/uv/wtnew.png

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dmitry shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Denny Instructor commented  · 

I just purchase the product and already find it useful. However, I just learned from reading the forums (and seeing for myself on my taskbar) that my originally pinned app/software icon is not the one being utilized by WindowTabs and is separated!
        When I do pin the icons on the taskbar being used by WindowTab, the icon it is pinned with is the WindowTab icon! Please fix this--why was it changed according to the OP of this post (from WindowTab v650)?

• Michel Beaudoin commented  · 

I'm using this tool for the last few days and I think it's great!
        But to be honest, I found this problem annoying and it's the only reason I haven't purchased it yet
        Please fix it soon!

• Dmi commented  · 

3 month have passed. Issue still remains =(

• knoa commented  · 

I use Windows 7 x64.

My Taskbar icons are: (all icons are pinned)
        1: Firefox (x86)
        2: Thunderbird (x86)
        3: Evernote (x86)
        4: Explorer (x64)

for example, I launch all(1-4) the apps, and grouped 2,3,4.
        Then there is one more icon in the taskbar.
        1: Firefox (launched)
        2: Thunderbird (the icon itself seems to be not launched)
        3: Evernote (same as 2)
        4: Explorer (same as 2)
        5: [grouped icons of 2,3,4]

If I want to activate one of 2,3,4 app, I use [Win]+[num] shortcut key.
        But it goes a little strange.
        case [Win]+[2(Thunderbird)]: Thunderbird is activated. Good.
        case [Win]+[3(Evernote)]: Nothing happened. Why?
        case [Win]+[4(Explorer)]: New Explorer window launched. I expect to just activate the opened explorer.

Maybe... case like Evernote happens on only with Evernote.
        Is it possible to fix by WindowsTabs?

so,
        I don't like UI of grouped icons. It confuses status(launched/not) of apps.
        I want appearance below for above situation.
        1: Firefox (launched)
        2: Thunderbird (launched and if it's possible, badged something grouped sign)
        3: Evernote (same as 2)
        4: Explorer (same as 2)

• AdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

Dmitry, thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it, I understand the issue better now.

Regarding it taking one vs two clicks, this is because you have taskbar grouping enabled - if you turn that off (on the Windows 7 taskbar, not in WindowTabs) then you will be able to switch in one click. This might not work for you though, and I agree this behavior is different than in WindowTabs v650

• Dmitry commented  · 

Hi Maurice. I'm sorry for the delay in response.
        Here is what I've talked about:
        https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cpP2J0FXP3g/T3rBo0JynXI/AAAAAAAAAcE/BY6dmLz4XqM/s297/%255BUNSET%255D.png
        https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BphpHa5Qg4Q/T3rBmC8VuAI/AAAAAAAAAb8/IKHX2qD5lyY/s180/%255BUNSET%255D.png
        Also I like old WindowTabs more, because if you want to switch windows only by mouse you have to click only one time (and then switch between tabs by hotkeys), instead of two clicks in new version.
        This is actually the reasons, why I'm using the old version.

Hi Kona, I have a few questions.

Re: win+1 hotkeys - those do still activate the grouped windows when I test it. And they will still launch "pinned" taskbar items assuming the program isn't already running - but this is the same behavior as without WindowTabs, isn't it? If you pin a program to the taskbar and then run that program, the taskbar shortcut turns into the item for the active window doesn't it? Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.

Re: "original taskbar icons don't work", do you mean right clicking on the taskbar item doesn't show the same menu as when it's not grouped?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me on these two items!

• knoa commented  · 

and... when the program is grouped, the original taskbar icons don't work.

• knoa commented  · 

There are some shortcutkey to launch/activate program in the taskbar such as;
        [Win]+[1], [Win]+[2], etc.

ex.
        I expect [Win]+[3] for launching/activating "Evernote".
        But when Evernote is already running and switched to background tab, nothing will be happen.

Hello Dmitry, when you say Windows 7 dock group is incorrect, what is the "dock group" you are refering too? You should see the icon of the top window in the group on the Windows 7 taskbar.

Feedback and Knowledge Base