How can we improve WindowTabs?

Activate next tab in group on closing a tab

If you close a tab in a group windows activates the last recently used window, disregarding the groups. It would be awesome if you could add a option, to automatically set the focus to the next window in the group, if a grouped window gets closed.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ThorstenThorsten shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maurice FlanaganAdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

Scott, thanks for the details, I understand exactly what you are talking about, and I agree, that is the expected behavior so I will make this change.

• ScottScott commented  · 

My two biggest uses are to group putty windows (sometimes as many as two dozen) and Microsoft Office Communicator windows (chat windows, frequently ten or so at a time). In addition I may have several Word and Excel windows, Explorer and Chrome, Outlook and so forth.

In an actual tabbed program, such as Chrome, when I close a tab Chrome is still active, so the next thing with focus is the next Chrome tab. This is how people expect tabs to work.

With WT, the Windows Z-order is allowed to select the next active Window. So, I could be using a group of putty windows and decide to terminate one. The next WT tab appears with putty in it, but the focus may be shifted into an MOC tab, or Outlook, Word, etc. The mind says "You can use this putty tab now", but Windows has other ideas.

User experience indicates the mind is expecting that next tab in the group of putty tabs to be the active window with focus, and it is not prepared for the jump in focus to what may seem (if it has been some time since switching windows) a random window.

• Maurice FlanaganAdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

Scott thanks for the comment, I didn't realize how annoying this was until I started talking to some users about it. What apps do you use WindowTabs with, would like to understand how you use it a little more.

• ScottScott commented  · 

This is absolutely the most annoying thing about WT right now!

Feedback and Knowledge Base