How can we improve WindowTabs?

Issue with Auto Hide option with Skype

When you share your screen (desktop), a red border is placed around the perimeter of the screen.

If you enable the auto hide option for a group, moving the mouse back up to the top edge of the screen may or may not show the hidden tabs; you have to move the mouse in another area where the hidden tabs are and then it may re-appear.

56 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TurionTurion shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Hi Maurice, will do...Thanks for your help. I also though it was very strange.

• Maurice FlanaganAdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

That is very odd, auto-hide should never be grayed out, any chance you could send me a screen shot to maurice@windowtabs.com? You can take a screen shot by pressing "Print Screen" button on your keyboard when the greyed out menu is visible, then paste that image int MSPAINT and save it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I also have a problem with auto hide.
        Some applicatios have auto hide, some don't. I have some applications that need auto hide in order to be able to reach some menu options.

It was working correctly for some time but now some applications have auto hide greyed out. The strange thing is that when i tab them into a group that can use autohide, they also are able to use auto-hide again.

Is there something saved next to the txt file?

I deleted the txt file multiple times, un-installed and installed again but this continues....

That is _extremely_ useful, thank you for taking a video. I agree, I will make the hidden height configurable so you can give it a little more space to hit with the mouse

• TurionTurion commented  · 

If auto-hide is off, the tabs work fine.

Here is a video what is happening: http://youtu.be/mSDLRJgsaTU
        I apologize for the quality. Observe that the tabs and the red border are on top of each other, with the red border topmost. To get the tabs to show, when the mouse is on the red border, slowly move the mouse down towards the tabs and then they would re-appear.

Maybe if the hidden tabs' height were just a little bit bigger, the tabs base would show just beneath the red border and become better accessible.

Turion, thank's for getting back to me, this is a big help. I think you are right about the issues, it's the red border blocking the mouse from hitting the tabs (which is how they are triggered to reappear). If you do not have auto-hide turned on, are you even able to click the tabs under the border? I'm thinking of adding a hotkey to show / hide the tabs, but if the red border blocks them even when shown, I am not sure if this will really solve anything.

Yes, I do but it doesn't happen with those, only with sharing my screen on Skype.
        I suspect that the red border placed around the perimeter of the screen interferes with the detection of the mouse and tabs since the border appears to be "always on top" to me.
        As you said, this might be a Skype specific issue...

Turion, thank you for the additional info, it's helpful. Do you use windowtabs with any other applications? If so, do you experience this behavior with any of those other apps when they are maximized?

Thanks for responding.

Sorry I was not clear but if you hide the tabs, moving the mouse back up to the top edge of the screen where the tabs are may or may not show the hidden tabs; you have to move the mouse off where the tabs are and move it back in the tabs region, then they would appear.
        I guess you have to play with it a little.

I'm not sure if this is a skype specific issue. Currently, when tabs are hidden, you must move your mouse onto the spot where the little sliver of the tab is visible, you can't just move your mouse to the top of the screen. I can change this behavior so that you can tap the top of the screen, I just want to clarify that this is the issue you are describing, and not some Skype specific bug

Feedback and Knowledge Base