How can we improve WindowTabs?

Distinguish by window class

It would be nice to distinguish windows by class. For example, the mintty terminal has a command-line option to set the class (e.g. to distinguish between local shells and ssh sessions). But WindowTabs still treats all as one application "mintty".

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I (the requester) found a workaround: Copied mintty.exe to mintty-gShells.exe, mintty-gRemote.exe, etc. Now WindowTabs treats them as different programs. (And luckily, mintty's new window shortcut (Alt+F2) starts the same executable as the one i'm currently working in.)

I'd prefer hard links to copies (so updates to mintty.exe would update all), but they are not sufficient.

With the workaround, this feature's priority dropped to "nice to have" (just to avoid having to re-copy after each mintty update).

BTW, concerning your question: By now i'd use it (or rather am using the workaround) for both - mostly to have different auto-groups, but also to leave other instances ungrouped (e.g. scheduled tasks using the original mintty.exe with no grouping).

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'd use it for autogrouping per class.

• AdminMaurice Flanagan (Admin, WindowTabs) commented  · 

Just looking to understand why it would be useful to identify the different classes of mintty - would you only add tabs to certain classes while leaving other classes untabbed? Or is it to allow autogrouping per class?

Feedback and Knowledge Base